On 27 February – 1 March 2019, the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR), OHCHR in Cambodia and UPR Info organised the CSO UPR Strategy Workshop in Phnom Penh, Cambodi, which brought together some 60 representatives from national CSOs and other UPR stakeholders. The focus of the three-day event was on analysing Cambodia’s 3rd Cycle UPR recommendations, and for the thematic working groups to develop action strategies demonstrating how civil society can contribute to implementation. The workshop succeeded in:
- Sharing the 3rd cycle UPR recommendations with national CSOs and grassroots organisations;
- Increasing national ownership of the UPR process by linking the efforts carried out prior to the review with a strategy for monitoring and supporting implementation of recommendations made;
- Identifying entry points for civil society involvement in the implementation process;
- Demonstrating the mutually reinforcing nature of SDG and UPR implementation;
- Establishing an agreement among national CSOs on a joint approach to the UPR implementation phase;
- Devising 11 thematic civil society action strategies to guide their contributions to the implementation of UPR recommendations;
- Adopting a Workshop Charter containing civil society priorities in the UPR;
- Gathering a cross-section of local civil society representatives from across the country (46% women, 54% men);
- Bringing together national CSOs with the donor and diplomatic community;and
- Further deepening the successful collaboration in the UPR process between CCHR, OHCHR in Cambodia, and UPR Info.
The full activity report can be accessed here.